Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bankrupt with child support?

Hello. so my father is filing for bankruptcy and he is currently on child support monthly installments. The money is being received by my twin sisters and they are both seventeen years old.
Does the bankrupty affect them? how do I help my mother handle this case or situation?
Answers:
child support obligations are not removed through bankruptcy,he still has to pay it(including any back child support owed). he can hire a lawyer and request a reduction on what he is currently paying,but that rarely happens. i can't see it being worth it for him to try for a reduction though.
Your mom should tell her divorce lawyer. I don't think bankruptcy releases any child support obligations, but the divorce lawyer will know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

vc .net